In this highly charged moment of political debate prior to the November 8, 2016 presidential election, it would be wise for us to take a step back from the discord that divides us. Rather, why not look at our candidates from a different vantage point, the view from Above. Why not try to understand what God sees, rather than vilify the very ones who may take over the leadership of America?
As I write this, I confess to you that I have a hard time doing this very thing. I have a sneaking suspicion that I am not alone. So, maybe it is an exercise that we can accomplish together. If you are an American citizen, and have the privilege of voting for the individual who will become the next President of the United States, then take this moment to digest the freedom of casting your vote. We are a people of vast opportunity—voting is one of our highest honors as citizens of this great nation.
And yet, we get all consumed with what the candidates are NOT, instead of trying to view them through the lens of who they might BECOME. This is not idle chatter or wishful thinking. I know from personal experience that when we come to understand the reality that God is in control of everything, we can then have new hope for our futures, both personally and collectively as a nation.
Daniel’s famous quote is as true today as it was when God revealed a mystery to him in a dream that saved him and all the wise men of Babylon from King Nebuchadnezzar’s decree to have all of them killed. Daniel 2:20-23 reads as follows:
“Let the name of God be blessed forever and ever,
For wisdom and power belong to Him.
It is He who changes the times and the epochs (seasons);
He removes kings and establishes kings (and presidents);
He gives wisdom to wise men
And knowledge to men of understanding.
It is He who reveals the profound and hidden things;
He knows what is in the darkness
And the light dwells with Him.
To You, O God of my fathers, I give thanks and praise,
For You have given me wisdom and power;
Even now You have made known to me what we requested of You,
For You have made known to us the king’s matter.”
Whether we believe that Hillary Clinton (the Democrat with a liberal platform) is:
1) The status quo politician who cannot lead us forward because she wants to lead as Obama has for the past 8 years;
2) A woman who has broken the law, but seems to be above the law—both in using a private email server for sending and receiving classified documents, as well as using the Clinton Foundation as a vehicle for gaining political favors;
3) A patriot who has given thirty years of her life serving her country;
4) A seasoned politician who knows all the issues and can lead the country through her experience with the elite in Washington; etc. etc. …
Or whether we believe that Donald Trump (the Republican with a conservative platform) is:
1) A man who won’t show his tax returns because he is hiding something;
2) A man who has made speech blunders and is not politically correct
3) An entrepreneur who has used his lifetime of skills to build buildings and corporations that employ thousands of men and women;
4) A man without political savvy/experience who loves his country enough to spend millions of his own income to move the country into a more job-producing, profitable, secure, financially sound and respected position in the world; etc. etc. ….
Let’s take a look at ourselves. What mistakes would we make on the national stage of public opinion? … Because we all would make mistakes. So, I point to the title of this article, “COME, LET US REASON TOGETHER.” As we think of ourselves as citizens of the nation of America, read what God said to the nation of Israel …
Isaiah 1:18-20 “Come now, and let us reason together,” says the Lord. “Though your sins are as scarlet, they will be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they will be like wool. If you consent and obey, you will eat the best of the land; but if you refuse and rebel, you will be devoured by the sword.”
When we consent to doing things God’s way, we will prosper; when we refuse, we will be crushed.
Since we are able to exercise our freedom of religion, our faith, to ask with our whole heart whom GOD WILLS TO BE PRESIDENT, then we can hear from Him and vote accordingly. Remember, “He gives wisdom to wise men, and knowledge to men of understanding. It is He who reveals the profound and hidden things.” Ask Him to reveal the candidate you are to vote for. Then VOTE! Whoever the next President of the United States of America is—my prayer is that we will unite as One Nation under God.