What is your temptation …
Love of Money?
Love of Junk Food?
Love of illicit passion?
THEN, PUT ON YOUR SPIRITUAL ARMOR!
These are just a few examples of the myriad of temptations out there to trip us up. When you are drawn like a magnet to something that you know is not good for you—yet you lose all reason where this something or someone is concerned—that is temptation. Because Satan is allowed to “prowl around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour” (1 Peter 5:8 NASB), we must have a defense for evil enticements that come our way. We all have weak spots, vulnerabilities—and Satan has a laser pointed directly at these spots. What is your weakness? Is it emotional, physical, material, or intellectual? How do you say no when temptation comes?
First, understand that it is not a sin to be tempted, for even Jesus was tempted by Satan. The human part of Him was tempted, but the Spirit of God in Him kept Him from doing evil. He was literally God incarnate, God in human form. Yet, because He was tempted, we can have confidence that He understands our weakness when we fall to temptation.
Standing against temptation without spiritual armor is akin to going into battle without bodily protection or a weapon. There are several pieces of armor necessary to prevent your falling prey to the Enemy. As all good soldiers, you must train yourself to be fit for battle (Ephesians 6:10–17 NASB):
- Helmet of Salvation: Are you saved? Have you been born again by trusting Jesus as your personal Savior? Are you certain if you died while reading this that you would be in the presence of the Lord for eternity?
- Sword of the Spirit: Do you read the Word of God consistently? Do you trust it to be your guide through life? Do you hunger to know God better through scripture?
- Belt of Truth: Are you confident of the Truth, and do you practice truth in everything? Does God’s Truth change the way you think and react?
- Breastplate of Righteousness: Are you confident of your righteousness through Christ? Are you willing to stand firm against the schemes of the devil using righteousness as your banner of courage and strength?
- Feet Shod with Gospel of Peace: Have you prepared yourself with the message of the Gospel which brings peace to all mankind? Are you ready to share your faith? Can you speak of what God has done lately in your life?
- Shield of Faith: Your faith will be like a shield to extinguish all the flaming missiles of the evil one. A strong exercised faith brings great confidence.
We must be ready, dressed in God’s armor, and share our love of Jesus who died to save the world from temptation, sin and an eternity in hell. We must be ready to defend our faith at all costs, and let the whole world see what a great and mighty God we serve!